I am currently open to new opportunities – if you’re interested, please get in touch.
- I am a focused senior Human Resources leader who is driven by and derives energy from team members, their love for what they do and their ultimate career success.
- With almost 20 years’ experience as an HR Leader, Employee Relations, Talent and Organisation Development specialist, Management Consultant and Change & Transformation expert, I deliver strategic and commercially sustainable results through strategic Human Resource initiatives.
- A champion of sustainable change who coaches and mentor’s teams toward common goals, values, behaviours and organisational visions.
- I am a strategic thinker who maintains that the value our people provide and what we can deliver for them, maintains engagement and encourages further passion for what they do and ultimately the success of an organisation.
- A people person at heart, I engender strong stakeholder relationships across all parts of an organisation that provide leadership and direction through the execution of strategic plans that drive sustainable results. A strong people leader, I gain respect through my capability and my coaching to develop ways of working.
- An Agile mindset, I facilitate efficiency, speed, and simplification in all actions. I am adaptable to market changes and competitive pressures and I enable fast learning that aligns teams around collective performance.
- In my previous role as Head of HR Business Partners, Talent and Development, I devised and executed the Australian and New Zealand People Strategy utilising my leadership skills to work with my team of 7 direct reports (half remote) and in collaboration with the HR Operations team.
- I designed and executed our strategic people plan aligned against the 2020 Business Plan working with the CEO, VP HR APAC and the Management Board: Achievements included:
- Implemented an agenda to reduce costs and minimise administrative tasks for our knowledge workers through our increased use of shared services.
- Introduced true talent and succession planning with a focus on gender diversity and inclusiveness which was a large scale transformational change throughout the organisation.
- Transformed the Talent and Development function and strategy to be agile, digital and enable an ‘on the go’ learning culture across the organisation through the application of a design thinking approach enabling team member engagement and buy in.
- Operationalised Performance Management enabling Manager accountability
- Embedded employee engagement and 360-degree performance management across the business
University of New England (AU) and Southern Cross University
Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons)
Communication, Journalism, and Indigenous studies
Capgemini is a global leader in consulting, technology and outsourcing services. Capgemini creates and delivers business, technology and digital solutions that fit client needs, enabling them to achieve innovation and competitiveness.
I joined Capgemini Australia and New Zealand in April 2007 and over the course of 10 years held a variety of roles including Human Resources, Consulting Operations Senior Manager and as a People and Transformation Management Consultant. I left the organisation in September last year to pursue a career sabbatical which included working with NGO’s in Cambodia and Laos.
Head of HRBP’s, Talent & Development
Dec 2014-Sept 20117
Given my success with the Graduate and Talent programs, I was requested to transform our approach to HR partnering with the business. Leading a team of 7 direct reports, (4 HR Business Partners, 2 L&D Professionals and 1 Organisation Development Manager) my role was to ensure the sustained commercial viability of our consulting talent through people strategies that enable their marketability to our clients. I foster engagement and motivation to ensure that our organisation and our clients benefit from our investment in people. Reporting to the VP of APAC HR and working with our CEO, COO and members of the executive board, I facilitated the alignment of our corporate strategy with our people vision and values based behaviour of our team members.
- Provide strategic HR direction to the executive board enabling the delivery of the business plan and objectives through our people.
- Managing and delegating where appropriate all Employee Relations issues from Performance Improvement plans to Redundancies.
- Introduced Inclusiveness and Unconscious bias training across the organisation.
- Redesigned and implemented a refreshed HR Organisation strategy with a focus on process, people and strategic efficiencies that supports our People Matter, Results Count EVP.
- Introduced our new “Leadership Model and Winning Behaviours” which supports and engenders values based behaviour.
- Implemented a ‘promote first, hire second’ agenda to enable true career paths for our people and to define our return on investment.
- Forecast and plan all HR Budgets aligned to Talent, Learning and Individual development.
Head of Talent
Oct 2013 – Jan 2015
Similar to the above role, this position encompassed Learning and Development and the full ownership and accountability for the graduate program. Leading 3 direct reports (2 x L&D and 1 x Graduate Assistant) my role was to transform our Talent programmes and Learning and Development to make them more Digital, Agile and accessible across the organisation.
- Leading the rollout of career and learning frameworks across the organisation from Graduate to Director level
- Creating coaching and leadership programs for all levels of the organisation to ensure feedback and performance management were front of mind given the dispersed workforce within the consulting community
- Reducing spend while increasing capability across the organisation by utilising our own SME’s as trainers
Graduate Program Lead
September 2012-January 2015
In late 2012 I was requested by the CEO, Management Board and VP HR to design and implement the strategic development of the Capgemini Graduate Program. This was the first time in that the Australian practice had invested in a Graduate population. Through my leadership we increased the number of graduates within the Australian practice year on year, inline with our organisational growth and our focus on creating a talent pipeline of future leaders across the organisation.
- Recruited, developed, coached and mentored over 180 Graduates across a 3 year period maintaining a retention rate of 76%, well above industry standard.
- In 2013, through the success of the program I lead Capgemini to achieve 14th place in the AFR’s top 100 Graduate employers.
- Due to the success of the program, in 2014 we then expanded to include our Singapore and Hong Kong offices.
- Developed the commercials for all aspects of the Capgemini program. This included;
- Vendor contracts
- Cost Benefit analysis of investment
- Graduate utilisation and charge our rate for commercial contracts and project sales
- Designed and led the social media communications and marketing campaign for our yearly global Gradathon – A celebration of Capgemini Graduates across all of our offices globally. You can read one of my pieces here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/gradathon-sheryn-crummy/
Business Transformation Consulting
Consulting Operations Senior Manager
April 2012 – September 2012
Following extended personal leave, I was requested to work directly with our VP of Consulting as an internal consulting operations Senior Manager while also providing Business Development, Service Line Communication and internal Learning and Development support to the business.
- Ongoing operational reporting for the Service line which included resourcing, revenue, sales, recruitment and financial analytics
- Co-ordination of cross company communications and events including team building program development and facilitation for leadership teams
- Strategy development with the Service Line leadership teams aligned to Group strategy
- Development of Monthly reporting for the Executive Board
- Internal learning and development design and facilitation
- Sales and Bid Development support and financial costing
- Designing, Facilitating and managing a 2 day offsite for 100 consulting team members from 3 states
People and Transformation Consulting
April 2007- April 2012
As a Management Consultant with Capgemini, my primary focus was;
- Human Resources Transformation
- Organisational Design and Development
- Change Management & Transformation
- Coaching and Leadership Development
Over the course of my 5 years in Consulting, I worked on 12 engagements, Some of my personal highlights are below, additional project details available on request.
Design and Facilitation of an APAC Talent Development Program – Technology Leader
This was a high profile program for the organisation with sponsorship from the APAC Senior Leadership team. My role included all commercial contracts and financial modelling, project management, stakeholder engagement, and the design, development and facilitation of the program to ensure alignment to the global strategic vision. Programs were delivered in Singapore, Macau and Hong Kong.
- A clear direction of the future strategy for the APAC organisation.
- Future leaders who were willing and able to accept the responsibility and be accountable to their teams.
- Increased self, team and role awareness of their leaders and accountability within the organisation.
- Implementable commercial projects post program.
HR System, Process and People Benchmarking – FMCG Organisation
The HR Systems Development team in Seoul South Korea, engaged Capgemini to provide an SME and thought Leader to benchmark their unique HR system, its service delivery model and the HR process enablement delivered to 260,000 people across 32 affiliate organisations globally.
- Greater service delivery through the identification of improvement initiatives related to Service level agreements, transparent pricing and customer service capabilities.
- Consistent process application across the organisation.
- Consistent enablement of processes aligned to HR strategy.
- Minimisation of ‘transactional’ HR process workload for HR, Managers and Employees.
- Flexible and ‘fit for purpose’ organisation design.
- Pro-active system development based on increased customer requirements and relationship management.
- Facilitation and design of the first Accelerated Solutions Workshop to be run in South Korea for 200 Human Resources team members to help ‘design their future’.
HR Transformation design and facilitation – Not For Profit
A pro-bono project for one of Australia’s most successful charitable organisations. I was engaged to assist them with solution identification for issues facing their HR and Volunteer Business Units including;
Enabling greater engagement with volunteers to allow the organisation to grow and meet 3 – 5 year objectives
- Recommendations for revised HR organisational design, learning and development and HR systems
- I successfully lead this project over a 6 week period, collaborating closely with a sponsor team comprising the CEO, five of his direct reports and the head of Human Resources through an Accelerated Solution Design session. The outcomes included:
- A high level redefinition and transformation plan of the organisations;
- Workforce Strategy, which was inclusive to all team members including HR FTE and Volunteers
- An operating model and strategic intent with greater focus on innovation, coaching and development of Leadership skills with a renewal of workforce capabilities across the charity
- A clear an implementable IT, Communications and Change strategy
HR Transformation – Operating Model and Organisation Design – Banking & Finance
This large Australian Bank engaged Capgemini to facilitate its Human Resource organisation to become a strategic partner to the business, by defining a new “fit-for-purpose” operating model aligned with the principles of Ulrich’s “best practice” model, and designing the organisation required to bring the model to life. The project involved three key streams of work over an 8-week period for Shared Services, Learning and Self Service; together with a Business Case and Change Management activities that were integrated across all streams
I lead a team of 5 for the transformation of the clients Employee Shared Services (ESS) function and designed a leading practice Shared Service operating model to increase the current effectiveness and efficiency across the enterprise. The deliverables provided to the client included a new Operating Model and the supporting organisational design, enhanced service definitions, a governance framework, service level agreements and standard operating procedure templates, a Pricing model methodology and a detailed process reengineering approach for the shared services enterprise.
Executive Leadership Development – Telecommunications
Capgemini was engaged by the CEO and Human Resources Director to design and facilitate a Leadership program for the CEO and his top 25 executives. I project managed, designed and facilitated this program to meet the objectives of the CEO and HR Director which were to;
- Drive Leadership effectiveness
- Increase self awareness of the leadership team and their impact on the business
- Understanding how their behaviour affects and influences team and others
- Understanding how communication of key messages impact team and the business
- Discover new ways of collaboration and clarify the leaderships teams roles and purpose
- Reignite the leadership teams passion during times of change and uncertainty
Key outcomes of the program included:
- A clear direction of the future and strategy
- Leaders who are willing and able to accept responsibility
- Commitment as a team and as individuals to a revised Leadership Charter
- A clear understanding of consequences for inaction
- Increased self awareness, team awareness and awareness of their position within the organisation
Head of L&D- Marketing
July 2006- April 2007
(Maternity cover contract following a 6 month career break volunteering in Antigua Guatemala)
My role was to provide the sustainable development of workforce capability to achieve the organisational strategic goals. This included the strategic organisational development planning, performance management and implementation of frameworks for approximately 800 staff members onsite and in excess of 2000 staff members offsite that included equity partners, franchisee’s and retail sites.
- Develop and implement fit for purpose L&D systems to support the delivery of targeted learning solutions to meet organisation strategy.
- As a member of the Leadership Team I provided advice, coaching and strategic thinking to by leading the development of an innovation mind set within the organisation
- Development and implementation of a Learning Management System.
Various Human Resource Roles
March 1999 – December 2005
My career started at Telstra from a people perspective, prior to that my university studies were leading me down the path of journalism or social justice. Below are three of my larger roles. More information can be provided.
L&D Manager – Bigpond
Lead the achievement of operational objectives aligned to strategic business plans through rigorous organisational capability development which supported Key Priorities, Organisational Values and fostered agile and responsive leadership teams at all layers of the business.
International HR & Mergers and Acquisitions
Developed a global workforce framework that underpinned Telstra’s international strategy and Asian acquisition business objectives. Provided high level advice and support to the Asia Pacific General Manager. Implemented organisational performance initiatives consistently with the Asian acquisition strategy and business decisions taken in all of the company’s alliances and joint ventures.
HRBP – Corporate
Provide end to end Human Resources support to Telstra’s corporate functions which included Finance, Marketing and Corporate Affairs and the Executive office.
Specialist Technical Skills
- HR / OD Strategy
- Employee Relations
- Six Sigma yellow belt
- Assessment and Selection / Recruitment
- Performance Management
- Succession, Talent and Career Management Models
- Management and Leadership Development
- Team Effectiveness
- Change Management
- HRBP capability at all levels
- DiSC Behavioural Team Profile Assessment
- Emotional Intelligence Accredited Coach
- Influencing/Negotiating Skills Facilitator
- Corporate Coach
- Advanced Facilitation Skills
- Strategic Workforce Management
- Mindfulness Practitioner
- Life Coach
- Inclusiveness Facilitator
- High Performance Leadership Coaching
- Leadership Development
- Innovation trainer
- Cross Cultural Communications development and facilitator
- High Performance Team Development
Learning & Development
- Adult Learning Principles
- Instructional Design
- Training & Development
- Design Thinking accredited through IDEO
- Agile Foundations
- Engagement and Commercial Management